December 2, 2012

The Fifth of December

Here's a heads up on what to expect in the next month in terms of content, although if you follow me on Twitter, it will hardly come as a surprise.


Over the course of December I will be reviewing and analyzing some very rebellious books.

In the final two classes of my literature undergrad, I took another look at Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk, revisited Orwell's 1984, soared through V for Vendetta, the graphic novel, compared all of these to their film adaptations, and took a look at some fringe texts featuring rebellious protagonists. I also got to spend some time with Odysseus, the trickster, so - let's take a look at some of these rebels over the next month!
"I am Tyler's Reflection" - Buy this print from the artist
I imagine there is never a time when rebel stories aren't important, and I actually agree with the education on just one point: that Nineteen Eighty Four needs to be taught to every generation ever.


This generation is no different. I would like start us off one thought on the relevance of rebellion today. I spent the last year of my life with my fingers crossed and my Tweets resounding with a message very dear to my heart: that if President Obama didn't get re-elected, the world would pretty much end. Mitt Romney was one scary mofo. But now, as we move into President Obama's second term, we don't need to follow and support him unconditionally any more. Now is the time to question him, to push him and criticize him in a way that we couldn't during the campaign period, because he needed us to defend him against some crazy people.


The fifth of November wasn't the time to rebel. Obama needed our loyalty in November. But December... Now is the time to rebel, to tell the government the direction we want the future to take. Now we are free to to give up unquestioning loyalty and tell the president what we want to see from him, or else.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you'll come along with me. Become a rebel with a cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment